At reFIND we believe that sustainability is a mindset that you have to intentionally practice, assess and not always about the actions you take, but how you think about the longevity of the items you choose to purchase, how you care for them, and how you choose to continue to give them life. Here’s a quick way to Detox your wardrobe for a more sustainable lifestyle, how to incorporate shopping sustainably and make getting ready fun, easy and efficient!
We’ve all had that daunting moment where the space in our homes become cluttered, our mind is overflowing with tasks, and our health just seems out of whack.
All of these things take time and energy away from us that could be used to enjoy our space, be more productive, happier, and feel energized and confident.
Like most things in life, they become clearer, less cluttered and less stressful when we start to organize our space, mind, and create habits that keep us mentally healthy and well.
This includes detoxing our wardrobe from time to time!
Many people debate what came first: the desire for fresh looks at an alarming rate or the industry’s top players convincing us that we’re behind trends as soon as we see them being worn. It’s hard to say, but there is no doubt that we thirst for the “next best thing” every day of our consumer-driven lives.
At reFIND we believe that sustainability is a mindset that you have to intentionally practice, assess and it's not always about the actions you take but how you think about the longevity of the items you choose to purchase, how you care for them, and how you choose to continue to give them life.
Here’s a quick way to Detox your wardrobe for a more sustainable lifestyle, how to incorporate shopping sustainably and make getting ready fun, easy and efficient!
Step One: Self-Assessment
Ask yourself those hard questions and let’s get real! Don’t try to convince yourself that you might love it later, wear it later, or need it later… Follow your gut and let’s ask ourselves:
1. Does this item align with who I am now?
· Maybe you’ve transitioned into more minimalism and don’t need all the colors, patterns, etc. and that is okay!
· Perhaps you’ve changed career paths and no longer need all the office work attire.
· Or maybe you’ve started to understand what style suits you best and brings you the most joy!
2. Have I worn this item in the last year or so?
· If it’s been hidden in the back of the closet that’s a sign.
· If you have to try to convince yourself to keep it, let it go.
· But I do believe there are some items you just can’t let go of… Make a box and label it “Treasures” to get excited when you open that box!
3. Does this item fit me well and make me feel hella confident?
· If it’s an item you haven’t worn because you always have to adjust it throughout the day, it could be perfect for someone else.
· Maybe it’s a pair of jeans or shorts that don’t quite make the booty look the way you want it, or don’t fit as comfortable as you’d like.
4. Would current you, purchase this item today?
· Maybe you’ve become more selective about the brands you support, and no, you wouldn’t wear or purchase this item anymore.
· Maybe you shifted the way you think about your clothing and know you don’t actually need this item.
· Or perhaps you are being more conscious about spending habits and realize purchasing more items doesn’t always mean we will wear it!
5. Most importantly, would this item bring someone else more use and enjoyment?
· There’s probably nothing wrong with the clothing in your closet and could be perfectly suited for someone else!
· Having this type of mentality will make you feel better about your closet and getting rid of items.
· In addition, it will help you to be more conscious when you shop not only about what items you purchase, but what is truly YOUR style!
Step two: Is it time to Reduce, Reuse or Resell?
Reduce your closet and Recycle more. Properly.
In the United States alone, we send 21 billion poundsof textile waste into landfills every single year! When cleaning out our closet we are left with items that don’t quite make the cut or items we've outgrown. It's important to dispose of those items properly so that we don't add to the textile waste.
Step four: Bonus Step! If you are looking for a fun and easy way to get dressed and need some ideas download the Whering App.
How does it work?
1. Take pictures of your clothes & upload onto the app 📲. They'll do the cropping & tagging for you. 2. Style unlimited outfits from the comfort of your couch (or get suggestions if you feel uninspired). 3. Make the most of your beautiful pieces and track your wardrobe usage.
Fast fashion has created the misconception that if we aren’t on trend,we lack some sense of belonging or status; this is all for the exchange of mass producing,increasing detrimental waste, the livelihoods of garment workers, and influencing us to overspend and over consume.
Let’s fight the demand for Fast Fashion, by assessing how much we have been or are contributing, get rid of excess items, and become reacquainted with the items we own and love. Let's DETOX ourselves of the things that just no longer serve us.
You might realize during your detox; you need a few staple pieces to add to your wardrobe. No worries! reFIND is on a mission to provide you with a mobile shopping app, so you can easily find those items from sustainable brands you can support and love wearing! Sustainability doesn’t happen overnight, but we do hope that we can help guide you on a journey to shopping brands that align with your values that don’t come at the cost of the planet, people, or your own personal style!
At reFIND we understand that sustainability is one word that embodies several solutions that the fashion industry must continue to improve on. Rooted at the core of sustainability is the socio-economic responsibility to acknowledge, understand, and improve on the matter of the ingrained racial injustice that is prevalent in our world today. Ultimately the solution is systemic change and reparations, but as we continue on the pursuit to create positive change and disassemble the inequality it’s important that we continue to amplify, shop, share, follow and support Black-Owned Businesses.
The impact Valentine’s Day creates is significant, so if you are stumped for what you could gift your friend, partner, or yourself for the holiday, here’s a few sustainable and eco-friendly shopping and gift ideas we’ve compiled for you!